View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Which Buffalo Grass Type Has The Best Winter Colour? 

Post Which Buffalo Grass Type Has The Best Winter Colour?
I have always assumed that different Buffalo grass types have similar winter colour. But after looking at these trials I noticed that there is a pretty big difference.

Palmetto to me has the best winter colour out of the Buffalos in this trial, look at the photo and tell me what you think.

All of the turf plots are treated the same and I took the photo today. The frosts have been bad this year and have browned off alot of plants and turf, but Palmetto is still green. The other Buffalos in the plots are Sapphire, Sir Walter, Kings Pride and Matilda. These were all burnt by the frost, but Palmetto wasn't.

It's important if you want green Palmetto in winter fertilise in autumn, all the plots got fertilised. Palmetto is the only winter active Buffalo while the others aren't so they aren't as green.

Attachments:
Palmettogreen.jpg
Palmettogreen.jpg [ 100.36 KiB | Viewed 5694 times ]

Katrina,
Ozbreed
Mon Jul 12, 2010

Post Re: Buffalo's best winter colour
I agree. Palmetto has the best winter colour. You see it every year on the Lowlands of Windsor, where fertilised Palmetto stays the greenest of all lawns. Good to see testing to prove the point.

So much for Kings Pride having good winter colour, it seems to have been badly affected by frost.

Mon Jul 12, 2010

Post Re: Buffalo's best winter colour
My Palmetto at my house is still green, even after this cold winter. Before trying Palmetto in the spot I went through 3 other grasses, all of which failed. I have had the Palmetto now for 7 years. The spot is a wet shady spot for half the lawn, and the other half is in full sun. If anyone is undecided as to which lawn to choose, go Palmetto. It has worked for me.

Thu Jul 22, 2010
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]