View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Slow Release Fertiliser Is Best 

Post Slow Release Fertiliser Is Best
I only use slow release fertiliser. I love natives, so I mainly use 8 to 9 month slow release. I do not use a native mix, as I find as long as it is a really long slow release, 8 to 9 month minimum, I find it does not matter. Lomandra and Dianella type plants need good levels of Nutrients, and Grevillea need lower amounts, but I prefer to just by one that works on both, so I use a Scotts 8 to 9 moth slow release that I buy in 20 KG bags from Elders. One bag lasts me a long time.

On the lawns I use a profession slow release turf fertiliser I by in big bags from Elders as well. Lasts me 2 years one 20kg bag.

Only ever use slow release fertilisers.

Wed May 26, 2010

Post Re: Slow Release is best
Organics are still pretty good. Slow Release is also good, but remember the manufacturing process is more onerous on the environment for slow release fertiliser than compared to the impact organics make. Organics are often recycled from other processes, and are good for the soil. Someone should try to make a slow release organic fertiliser. Is that even possible?

Mon Jul 12, 2010

Avoid any fertiliser that is not slow release. If it does not say slow release do not use it. Why?

It's a waste of money. Avoid standard chemical fertilisers like No17, or fertilisers that claim to be great or premium that do not have the words slow release in them. They will dissolve quickly when watered and can be gone in days. So toss up the price of a fertiliser lasting for days, or a slow release fertiliser lasting for months.

Say the slow release costs 35% more. Eg; normal fertiliser costs approx. $19.80, whilst the slow release costs $30.00. In this instance, the slow release is worth close to 8-10 times as much as the normal fertiliser because it last 8-10 times longer.

If slow release fertiliser lasts 8-10 times longer, wouldn't it cost 8-10 times more?
Based on a normal fertiliser price, the slow release should be $198. Luckily, it's much cheaper. Or you could look at it this way: a slow release fertiliser costs $30 and the normal fertiliser for the same quantity should cost $3 based on how long it lasts - 10 times less.

They will wash through your lawn, which is wasteful and bad for the environment. The excess fertiliser may end up in storm water.

They can burn your lawn badly if they are not watered in. Slow release types will not burn.

What about organic fertilisers?

They are better, but they also release quicker than slow release, usually 4 to 6 times faster. They still wash into storm water, and they are bulky and expensive when calculating price to longevity.
Review on slow release fertilisers.

Slow release fertilisers will not burn your lawn. They will hardly ever wash into storm water and they last usually between 2 to 3 months. Best of all, they are by far the most economical when you consider they fertilise you lawn continually for 3 months; 10 times better value than a standard fertiliser.

What types are available?

Yates Lawn Master (Slow Release Fertiliser): A good formulation with a reasonably high level of nitrogen, and ideal for spring fertilising. For summer and autumn it has a high level of Nitrogen, so if you use it at these times, make sure you use it at the lower end rates. Use it at the higher end rates in spring. It lasts between 2 to 3 month and is good value, often being able to be bought at Bunnings or other retail outlets.

Scotts Lawn Builder (Slow Release Fertiliser): Similar to Yates Lawn master. Also a good formulation for spring with its high nitrogen level. For summer and autumn it has a high level of Nitrogen, so if you use it at these times make sure you use it at the lower end rates, whilst in spring use it at the higher end rates. It lasts between 2 to 3 months and is good value, often being able to be bought at Bunnings or other retail outlets.

Ozbreed Spring Blend (Slow Release Fertiliser): This is similar to the other two types listed. Also a good formulation for spring with its high Nitrogen level. Ozbreed does not recommend this one for summer or autumn, as they have a blend specially formulated for those times of the year. If you must use it in summer or autumn, lower the rates like the other fertilisers described above. It lasts between 2 to 3 months, and is good value. Only available online or from turf growers. Click here to buy online.

Ozbreed Summer/Autumn Blend (Slow Release Fertiliser): This has lower Nitrogen in comparison to Potassium. Potassium levels are higher, which is needed for good root, stolon and rhizome development in summer and autumn. In comparison to the other slow release fertilisers, this is the stand out for this time of year. It is not recommended for spring, as the Nitrogen levels are a little low, although you could still use it in a pinch. This again will not burn your lawn and will last about 2 to 3 months and is good value. It is available online only or through turf growers.

Mon Jul 18, 2011

The best type of Fertiliser available on the Market is Simplot's BEST Range.

You may pay a bit extra per bag, but it will get you the results you are after.

If you need any more information, as in price or looking at buying some, i can help you out there.

Wed Sep 14, 2011

Post Re: Slow Release Fertiliser Is Best
I think slow Release is also good, but remember the manufacturing process is more
onerous on the environment for slow release fertiliser than compared to the impact organics make.

Tue Jan 15, 2013
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]